Friday, June 25, 2010

The Mukilteo Farmer's Market is Here!


Now that we are finally seeing sunlight again, combined with the Farmer's Market season, it is offically my favorite time of the year.   It signifies that summer is here to stay and it helps feeds my passion for gardening.  Also, being an Independent Business person myself for Scentsy Products, I like to support our local vendors and enjoy the fruits of their labor. 

The weather couldn't have been any better for the Mukilteo's Farmer Market yesterday.  After only seeing the sun a handful of times the past few months, the weather was heavenly.  One of the good thing about living in the Pacific Northwest, it makes you appreciate those sunny days.  After a long hiatus from the sun, you head to the beach and join the masses.  When the Farmer's Market is going on, it makes it even better. 

We arrived at the Farmer's Market very hungry yesterday, so the first booths we visted was the food vendors.  Last year our two most visited food vendors were Mr. Mobley's and Pioneer Farms.  Mr. Mobely's Tahini dressing always left me craving more, but unfortunately he wasn't there this year.  So, I had to contact him directly and find out how to purchase his amazing Tahini Dressing locally.  His yummy Tahini Dressing goes with many dishes, but my personal favorite is brown rice, cabbage or broccoli slaw.  He contacted me today and told me of a local store who is now carrying his dressing, so I feel a little more relieved but I missed visiting with him.



Our other favorite food vendor is Pioneer Farms.  We love to get a good old fashioned organic hamburger with grass fed beef.  I had the pleasure of chatting with the owner of the farm, Judy Pedersen.  Being Danish myself, I instantly recognized her Danish name.  What also fascinated me about Judy was the dilemna she faced 20 years ago.  She had the tough decision of quiting her teaching position or taking over the family farm, which has  been around since 1889.  If she didn't take over the family farm it was going to be sold, so as you guessed, she chose to keep the family business going.  She now farms over 500 acres and is one of the very few women farmers in America.  Very impressive woman.


To feed my passion for gardening I always have to take a stroll by the beautiful flowers.  I am still amazed at the minimal cost of fresh cut flowers in this area.  It must be all the wonderful rain.  :) 



After thinking of all the beef, chips and lemonade I consumed, I had to make my way over to the fruit and vegetable vendors to rid myself of the guilt.  

   

My first vegetable stop was more like dessert.  The Sugar Snap Peas were so good, they didn't even make it home. 



I had to start getting a little more serious about my vegetable intake so I found myself at Millingwood Organics.  The owners were a delight to chat with and I loved the Kale I had in my morning vegetable juice.  What made it even better was knowing it was locally grown and organic.  My husband also enjoyed the organic mixed greens with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.  Since the mixed greens weren't your ordinary mixed greens, they suggested I try the mixed greens in a stir fry, so that will be next.  Their mixed greens consists of a combination of broccoli leaves, callard greens, kale, mustard greens, just to name a few.  If you can't find your suggested vegetable intake in this combination, it doesn't exist.  

Another delight of the Farmers Market is the view.  Not many places you get a dinner view like this. 

  




   








Until next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is always appreciated.